I'm linking up to share about the week - thanks Kacey for hosting!
5. Yesterday was our field trip to this farm. It was about a hour away & incredibly beautiful! We enjoyed a tractor ride, corn maze, and even s'mores over a campfire!
4. We are having our Book Character Parade today! Students and staff dress up as their favorite book character and we march in a small parade throughout the school to show off costumes.
I'm the same character every year :)
I have a meeting first thing this morning...
Maybe I should wait on the hat?
3. This week, we had a BIG I.E.P. meeting and we brainstormed suggestions to help a student with responding (i.e.: expressive language). He is working on grade level with accommodations, but is only completing approximately 2 out of 10 questions on his math problem sets, exit tickets, etc. I've found some math apps to provide extra practice, but it's been tricky to align even the best programs.
This week, I tried simply opening iDraw and having my student complete his work. I just opened a blank screen and he was motivated enough to do his math drawings in order to solve the given problems:
The above picture shows him drawing 10 circles and crossing out 6 to represent 10-6 = 4. It wasn't pretty, and I still have mixed feelings about not having him build stamina using a pencil, but he did accurately complete all three pages of his math unit test with no tears or timeouts (mine or his!).
Our amazing SLP also recommended iAnnotate and another special educator suggested Magnet Alphabet. I'm going to play around with them this weekend!
2. I saw an email this week about one of my favorite teaching books:
Maia Heyck-Merlin has presented her Together Teacher course the past couple years at the KIPP School Summit and it's always booked solid! I picked up the book, talked to attendees, and felt really excited about everything I've heard and tried. I'm definitely taking this course to learn more. Please let me know if you're signing up, too!
1. If you're looking for some quick & easy Halloween ideas to keep the learning going today, please check out these freebies at my store!
Have a wonderful Halloween & weekend!