Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Are You Ready for a Football Freebie?

Are you ready for the BIG game??
 
I live in Baltimore City which is literally bathed in purple with purple lights, banners, & signs. It's still dark when I leave my house in the morning and it looks so cool to see the downtown purple!
 
I'm not originally from Maryland, so I was a slow convert to the Ravens (Go Bengals!). But now that I've been here a few years, I've had to branch out my wardrobe to incorporate Purple Fridays:
 
This is only half of it!
As you can imagine, our students are beyond excited! I definitely don't want to miss the opportunity to capitalize on encourage their enthusiasm! I feel as though I could teach them calculus this week if there's a purple football graphic on it! Here's what we've been using as a warm-up during this week's Guided Reading:
 
 
 
Students select a text card, read the word. and sort by long or short vowel. I've been a bit surprised that a few of my little guys have struggled with this. I'm SO glad we're practicing it. As they toss the card in the cup, I always ask "How did you know?" and that's provided very "interesting" answers, as well!
 
Click HERE to pick up your copy of the football players and text cards.
 
Don't worry 49ers fans, you're well-represented, too!
 

The frames were a freebie from the talented Ashley Hughes! My students love them & they were exactly what I was looking for (who doesn't love chevron?). And if you haven't noticed yet, please glance to the right side & check out my new avatar designed by Ashley! She was fun & super-sweet to work with and I love the results :)

Have a super week!

Pin It

6 comments :

  1. These are cute and just what I need with my reading group! :)

    Kim
    Mrs. H's Resource Room

    PS We are Bengals fans, too! I live about an hour south of Cincinatti! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Bengals fan! I grew up in Dayton and also lived in Mason for a short time. I'm glad you can use these with your reading group!

      Delete
  2. Go Ravens!!!! I am from the eastern shore and now live in Georgia where I have convert my second graders each year:) Love the activity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that your students root for the Ravens, that's great!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for this freebie!!
    I will be using this tomorrow in my classroom. Gave you a shout out on our blog-- Check it out: http://kandclovegrade3.blogspot.ca/
    We're your newest followers :)
    Kaitlin & Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this on Classroom Freebies. Thank you for sharing it. I can't wait to use it! Thank you!

    Dawn
    Adventures in First with Mrs. Key

    ReplyDelete