Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Long E Spelling Freebies

I'm LOVING this school year!
My students are making exciting progress each and every day.
It has been so much fun watching them learn and grow :)
 
Since I worked with 1st grade last year,  many materials are being used again. I'm constantly making updates because this year's caseload has many different needs than last year's. Rather than replace older materials, I'm just adding. If you have ever purchased anything from me, please check back often for exciting additions!
 
We are now tackling long vowel spellings. We spent quite a bit of time on Silent E, so this week we've been covering _ai_ and _ay & ee and ea.
 
We played Long A Aliens in Space & used this graphic when it came time for dictation:


 
It really worked! We stretched each word and listened to the sounds. If the Long A was at the end ("stay"), we knew to use the _ay. Worked like a charm...with 7/8 students ;)
 
Today we worked on Long E spelled ee and ea.
We had fun with these cards:
 
 
It's a bit tough to see, but we read the words together, wrote them and then lifted the post-it to reveal the picture. My students LOVED this! The writing was simply copying, but my students receive OT and need ALL the writing experiences they can get.
 
I made 10 text/pictured cards for ee and 10 for ea:
 
 
It's up to you if you want to cover the pictures with the post-it notes. I did because I wanted to assess how my students were decoding the Long E spellings.
Tomorrow we'll be playing Long E Bees - can't wait!
 
Hope you find them useful!
 
Pin It

4 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for this freebie! I love it:)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and we are working on this right now! Super!

    Christen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweet comments! My students cracked up at the feet picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great activity. But bummed. Scribd is requiring a premium membership to download.

    Chris
    cryazzienj@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete