Saturday, January 19, 2013

Superhero Assessments!

Whew! Made it to the 3-day weekend!
 
This past week was OFF. THE. CHAIN.
 
 It was our interim assessment week, which also happened to fall in our NWEA testing window AND the IEP quarterly progress reports. And the flu, again :(
 
Looking back, gathering ALL the data at one time provided a thorough snapshot of student progress. But tell that to a six year-old who is sitting through assessment number SEVEN!
 
I provide testing accommodations for about a dozen students. These include verbatim reading, scribe, extended time, etc. Those are the official accommodations. The "off the record" accommodations are high 5's, brain breaks after every 5 completed problems, earning "bellytime" on my office floor, using the "special testing pencil," etc. Even with all those extras, my students were just not having it!
 
Here's what I resorted to on Friday:
 

"The superheroes are watching you rock the assessment!"
 
I have no shame. Whatever works!
 
Soon, it became:
 
 
The Hulk is taking a closer look
as my students "show what they know!"
 
And, this was all of us afterwards:
 
 
Tired
 
Because my students were barely even able to pick up a pencil by the end of the week (or maybe that was just me!), I created these cards to do a simple phonics checklist assessment:
 
 
Sorry they are sideways!
 
There are 10 cards for the following: CVCe, CVVC, and CCVC.
(I also added CVC to the set, just in case).
 
The students read the appropriate set
& I tracked progress using this:
 
 
 
It gave me a quick check of my students' mastery and/or a baseline of where we are right now. I tuck this page in their file and then assess in a designated amount of time (I aim for monthly) to check progress.
 
If you would like to download this set of cards and tracking page,
 
Have a super Saturday!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the superheroes! Why not!! I'm going to borrow this idea when we take our state test in March!

    Aimee
    aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture with the little green superhero watching him is so cute!!

    Rebecca
    Ladybugs Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids would love having such creatures watch them rock the test. That's super! Scribd would not allow me to download your great phonics checklist assessment. It said I must become a premium member first. Is there another way I might access the document?

    Chris
    cryazzienj@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the checklist and word cards. The super heroes are an awesome idea. My room has a superhero theme this year. Where did you get those cute guys? My class would be over the moon to have those guys around!

    ReplyDelete